Monday, February 18, 2013

Films I Enjoyed in 2012

Films I Enjoyed in 2012

     So I know we are in February of 2013 but I wanted to just do a regular blog post about some films I enjoyed in 2012.  I actually was a part of the Igorslab.com podcast where myself, Frank E Stein, The Venom Nemesis and AC each gave our picks for 2012 and you can check that out here and also we go into more detail about our picks in that podcast.  Now just a heads up before anyone gets annoyed at my list or maybe does not agree with it, for one I did not get to see a lot of films I wanted to last year so this list is for film's that I had the chance to actually see.  There were some over seas film's I would have loved to consider for the list but I unfortunately didn't get to see them in time.  Also some titles might not be strictly horror, you might see some comedy/horror and even a Sci Fi film. 

     So without further ado in no particular order here is my list.

 1.  First will be my favorite short of 2012.  I actually enjoyed a number of short films but I have to go with Familiar.  I was just blown away by the acting, the look, the story and special effects.  If you get a chance to watch this film do yourself a favor and make sure you do.


2.  Now on to the Feature Films.  I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods and thought it was a good film so I had to have it on my list.  I know some people do not like the ending or even the story but I thought that it was a pretty well written film and I liked the little in jokes they had about other films. 


3.  Up next is Excision.  After I watched the trailer I knew I had to see the film.  This film is so bizarre and captivating that I could not turn my head away.  The acting is superb and each character really has a big part in the grand scheme of the film.  I think this film definitely is one that people will love or hate so instead of checking out reviews I think you just have to dive in head first and see what you think. 

4.  I think on the podcast I grouped these two films together just because they were both animated but each film obviously are very different from each other.  I really loved both films and I have watched them multiple times.  Some might pick one over the other but I could not have one of these films missing from my list, both had to be on it.

5.  This was another film where I saw the trailer and really wanted to see it.  I will say though that the trailer made me think this film would play out a certain way but it definitely switched up on me.  It has political undertones as well as dealing with family issues and values that really shine through and of course the comedic parts were funny. 

6.  When I found out someone was doing a sort of mash-up with Scooby-Doo and a horror film how could I not be excited for that.  Just to let everyone know though this isn't some film that is just banking on that Scooby-Doo angle to attract people in.  The film I thought was very well done and I really enjoyed watching it.  It had a good mixture of those HaHa moments but also had blood, sex and murder that kept me interested through out.  

7.  Now this is a film that I was really debating if I should add it on to the list or not because I don't think it is really scary and I did have some problems with it.  Most noticeably that the little short films in the film that I really love almost over shadow the whole story of the film.  However I really kept thinking about the characters in the film and the story of the Father and the family in general and found myself enjoying the film a lot more.  There is more going on in the film that I think if you really get into you will find the movie more enjoyable.  

8.  This is a film that I actually got to see an advance screener for and I am so glad I got that opportunity.  I love horror but some of my favorite director's of all time are David Lynch and Stanley Kubrick.  I love the way they tell a story with their film and of course all of the symbolism that is through out the film.  Red Kingdom Rising has a lot underneath the surface and being able to see the film develop through symbolism within the film really made me enjoy it.  Another aspect is that the film with all it's symbolism is still accessible for really any viewer  and draws you in and takes you on an amazing journey along the way.

9.  This is another film where I watched the trailer and thought I knew how the film would play out and again I was wrong.  Which I do not mind to be wrong in my assumptions especially when the films turns out to be really good and makes me enjoy the film on multiple levels.  Iron Sky has a real somber story to tell which they mix in with humor and a unique scenario.  The ending I think really gets it's point across and I absolutely love the film.










Horror Smorgasbord

Wat ch Full Length : High Definition


No comments:

Post a Comment